Coach Morgan fired - Time to pick a new coach

TexGator

Southeastern Louisiana head coach Frank Scelfo is in discussions to take Lamar's open head coaching position, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday; although at this time no deal is in place.

Scelfo, 63, has been Southeastern's head coach for the past five seasons. After a 4-7 debut, the Lions have enjoyed four straight winning seasons and three trips to the second round of the FCS playoffs, including this season.

https://footballscoop.com/news/lamar-pursuing-southeastern-louisiana-head-coach-frank-scelfo

First, I do not trust Scelfo based on his some of his past dealings. Could he be using this as a way to wrangle more money from SEL? I also wonder about a 63 year old coach from Louisiana moving to Texas at a time when many would be thinking about retirement. Of course he may have enough time in the Louisiana system that he can "double dip."

Whatever happens, I hope Lamar can come out with a decent football team in the end whether it be with Scelfo or someone else.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I do not trust Scelfo based on his some of his past dealings. Could he be using this as a way to wrangle more money from SEL? I also wonder about a 63 year old coach from Louisiana moving to Texas at a time when many would be thinking about retirement. Of course he may have enough time in the Louisiana system that he can "double dip."

Whatever happens, I hope Lamar can come out with a decent football team in the end whether it be with Scelfo or someone else.

ive been wondering about Sela coach before him. Roberts. Think he is at Baylor.

dang. He was. Dude was good at delta st and sela. Before i say hire him, i gotta check his offenses

Roberts had two good seasons at SELA then went down to average. Scelfo came in after him and after one rebuilding year his teams have been ranked and still going strong, losing in the playoffs this year. Maybe he sees a chance to make his mark before he retires and see mores upside (plus more money) at LU. Roberts is a defensive guy who just got fired and didn't exactly have an outstanding record as head coach at SELA (plus no mention of him wanting to return to FCS).

Runs too much

Did you only look at the stats for their game yesterday?

Regardless, I'd rather have a guy whose team can run and wins than one that just chucks it deep and we lose.

Looks like, aside from having to run the snot out of the ball last year, he likes to throw it. But, something happened with his team last year that he needed to run it more (and STILL made the 2nd Round throwing for over 240 YPG).

2019: 8-5 (6-3)

2020: 4-3 (4-2)

2021: 9-4 (6-2)

2022: 9-4 (5-1)

Made the 2nd Round of the playoffs the 3 full seasons.

Offensive Stats:

Passing: 8.1 YPA / 354.4 YPG

Rushing: 3.9 YPA / 130.5 YPG

Passing: 8.8 YPA / 391.9 YPG

Rushing: 3.4 YPA / 116.7 YPG

Passing: 9.3 YPA / 407.2 YPG

Rushing: 4.2 YPA / 144.8 YPG

Passing: 7.6 YPA / 242.4 YPG

Rushing: 4.9 YPA / 198.6 YPG

Totals (and this includes 6 playoff games):

Passing: 8.5 YPA / 343.3 YPG

Rushing: 4.2 YPA / 151.7 YPG

Also saw he coached at Vidor and Orangefield, I believe. Also was at North Shore before going to Tulane (the last time the Green Wave was good).

Roberts had two good seasons at SELA then went down to average. Scelfo came in after him and after one rebuilding year his teams have been ranked and still going strong, losing in the playoffs this year. Maybe he sees a chance to make his mark before he retires and see mores upside (plus more money) at LU. Roberts is a defensive guy who just got fired and didn't exactly have an outstanding record as head coach at SELA (plus no mention of him wanting to return to FCS).

I don't think Roberts is the answer. As you stated, he is a defensive coach. I think the Cardinals need a dynamic offensive coach. I believe Roberts may get another FBS gig anyway, maybe not as a DC but as a position coach. I would not be surprised if ended up at Florida or UL Lafayette. He was a DC for Napier at UL before he moved to Baylor.

All of the above is just a guess, but it is fun to discuss anyway.

All of the above is just a guess, but it is fun to discuss anyway.

I agree. With LU's past history of football coaching hires, I suspect it will be someone most if not all of us has never heard of and with no real record of his own. I just hope it is soon as round one of the signing periods is coming soon also.

I thought for some reason we were using Parker Executive Search as our search team. I saw on their website where they normally have a coach ready to sign in around 2 weeks. I also read an article about them so I may have mixed that in. They also pride themselves on confidentiality between potential coach and university. Two weeks is today and we need a coach. There are a few coaches who have been hired at other schools ready to move on, once they lose from the playoffs. We are still without a coach or staff.