Nate Calmese

lamarfan360

Nate is entering the transfer portal. Huge loss for Lamar.

Not surprised. This will probably be the norm for the next several years. Players who think they should have gotten an offer from a stronger D1 conference member will play a year at a lower tier school hoping to show they should be somewhere better. Wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of others look at it also.

I see too big negatives with this news. First, although Brooks can recruit good young players, why would they stick around knowing Brooks cannot coach and they will be stuck on a losing team. Second, LU basketball is officially dead (and has been on life support for decades). No good young players will stay at LU. No good young coach will stay at LU. The SLC is near the very bottom of basketball conferences.

I see too big negatives with this news. First, although Brooks can recruit good young players, why would they stick around knowing Brooks cannot coach and they will be stuck on a losing team. Second, LU basketball is officially dead (and has been on life support for decades). No good young players will stay at LU. No good young coach will stay at LU. The SLC is near the very bottom of basketball conferences.

2 years ago Kennesaw State was 5-19. Now they are 26-8, going to the NCAA Tournament.

If it can happen there, it can happen here. Calmese will be missed but as you said Coach Brooks can recruit. I bet there will be a couple more scholarships that become available.

This has more to do with NIL than it does with whether Brooks can coach. Lamar cannot compete with other schools when it comes to NIL. Kids now days always think the pasture is greener on the other side. Calmese is good but everyone says the Southland sucks as a conference. There are many players that can be outstanding in a mediocre conference. Chances are he goes to a bigger school and sits behind a more experienced older player. Playing time cut in half.

The most significant problem is the last part of Coachacola's post. The SLC is a bad conference. Lamar has blown two opportunities to be in better conferences. It took forty years for Lamar to get as bad as it is and the SLC has not significantly improved in that time either. Maybe if there is enough NIL money to spend in Beaumont, Lamar can keep some good young talent, but if not it will take a great coach and multiple years to get back to where Lamar was even ten years ago.

The Owls finished 1-28 overall and 0-16 in the ASUN Conference in coach Amir Abdur-Rahim's first season in 2019-20. Having left Division II in 2005, Kennesaw State never had a winning Division I record before this season, when they improved to 26-8 by beating Liberty 67-66 in Sunday's conference tournament championship.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/cbk/kennesaw-state-brings-ragstoriches-story-to-1st-ncaa-party

Did Calmese ever explore NIL opportunities in BMT?

Probably not because he is from AZ and not TX!

I would LOVE for a coach to use LU as a stepping stone. We have not had a MBB coach that another program has wanted in a long time

You have to be willing to take a chance on a young coach and probably from a lower division. Highly unlikely that Lamar will find a coach even in his early forties with any experience at the D1 level and any coach they would get that is over fifty probably won't have a chance to prove themselves worthy of moving up.

This is about NIL! That is what Nate parents told the Lamar administration. The coaches knew he was being contacted by other schools halfway through the season.

I heard he was offered up to $25,000 NIL money to transfer to a Power 5 school close to home.

The kid from Montenegro also was being contacted, but getting hurt may have dampened his NIL value.

Maybe a half dozen of the online members could chip in $5000 each, and keep us some players.

Edited by Skinny1

Assuming he actually leaves, he might wind up making a similar move as Abilene Christian's Joe Pleasant. Pleasant left two years ago after ACU beat Texas in the NCAA and went to Wichita. After a year at WSU he returned to ACU. I know he didn't get the same kind of playing time in his year away. For Calmese, I don't see him getting much playing time at any Power 6 conference school. His scoring was good here at Lamar, but overall he wasn't spectacular in other areas of the game. To me Calmese didn't play defense at the level you see from the star guards in P6 schools.

Assuming he actually leaves, he might wind up making a similar move as Abilene Christian's Joe Pleasant. Pleasant left two years ago after ACU beat Texas in the NCAA and went to Wichita. After a year at WSU he returned to ACU. I know he didn't get the same kind of playing time in his year away. For Calmese, I don't see him getting much playing time at any Power 6 conference school. His scoring was good here at Lamar, but overall he wasn't spectacular in other areas of the game. To me Calmese didn't play defense at the level you see from the star guards in P6 schools.

Agreed, his overall game needs work. He turns the ball over too much. That said, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

Agreed, his overall game needs work. He turns the ball over too much. That said, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

The comments on here are hilarious. The world is coming to an end because some players are transferring. Oh no!!!! Hello! That's the new stupid world we live in. It happens at every school. It's not that big of a deal. Yes it sucks to lose Calmese but we can just as easily pick up someone else. At the end of the day what really matters is the coach. If we EVER find a good coach we will win again. If we don't then we won't. And this garbage about missing out on opportunities with bigger conference. Do you know our history?? Been there done that. The southland has very good football and pretty good baseball. Crappy basketball without SFA and SHSU. The WAC has good basketball and good baseball. Crappy football. The Southland is the perfect conference for us at present. Until we can prove that we can win in the Southland it's pointless to try to move up. And if Calmese thinks he's going to some major college and making an impact he's fooling himself. I hope he does go to a big school and I hope he rides the pine.

The comments on here are hilarious. The world is coming to an end because some players are transferring. Oh no!!!! Hello! That's the new stupid world we live in. It happens at every school. It's not that big of a deal. Yes it sucks to lose Calmese but we can just as easily pick up someone else. At the end of the day what really matters is the coach. If we EVER find a good coach we will win again. If we don't then we won't. And this garbage about missing out on opportunities with bigger conference. Do you know our history?? Been there done that. The southland has very good football and pretty good baseball. Crappy basketball without SFA and SHSU. The WAC has good basketball and good baseball. Crappy football. The Southland is the perfect conference for us at present. Until we can prove that we can win in the Southland it's pointless to try to move up. And if Calmese thinks he's going to some major college and making an impact he's fooling himself. I hope he does go to a big school and I hope he rides the pine.

We need to part ways with Brooks and find someone who can coach. Oh, and the NIL comments. That's hilarious too. Do you think the schools we compete against are paying big NIL money? If you own a business are you going to pay Calmese 25 grand to advertise for you? Do you think ANY of these players will generate more business for you if they are the "face" of your business? lol. Jason Thirdkill says come on down to Kinsel and pick up a new truck!

We need to part ways with Brooks and find someone who can coach. Oh, and the NIL comments. That's hilarious too. Do you think the schools we compete against are paying big NIL money? If you own a business are you going to pay Calmese 25 grand to advertise for you? Do you think ANY of these players will generate more business for you if they are the "face" of your business? lol. Jason Thirdkill says come on down to Kinsel and pick up a new truck!

Look at all of these no good, deadbeat universities that can't keep their players: https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-portal-basketball/

(Geezus. Yall all act like you were never an 18 or 19 year old. Or, yall were just mature beyond your age. "i'll stay, I wanna go out with that girl." "I'm leaving, that girl dumped me." "Coach was mean to me, I'm leaving").

Totally agree! We probably belong in the Southland and should stay there for the near future.