Transfer Portal and Lamar MBB

lamarfan360

For the last couple of weeks, I have been monitoring the transfer portal. Last year coach Brooks signed 11 players and not one was from the transfer portal.

I have seen Lamar as interested in at least 5 guys that are either Dll or Dl transfers. The players average between 25 and 17 PPG. Except for McNeese transfer Jonathan Massie, who averaged 10.5 PPG.

Honestly, I think adding the right transfer guy is the way to go since LU only has a couple of scholarships available.

What are some of your thoughts regarding adding a player or players from the transfer portal?

Coach Brooks signed Jayden Barrs a 6-1 G from Manor HS in the early signing period. He was ranked as the 35th best prospect in Texas but missed his senior season due to a knee injury.

Can he get some coaching skills from the transfer portal too?

A lot of Duke supporters thought coach K needed to get some coaching skills before he got Johnny Dawkins on campus.

In 1985 (with coach Brooks on the Cardinals coaching staff) Lamar almost beat Duke in Houston before falling 62-66.

Point, good players can make coaches look great.

https://lamarcardinals.com/sports/mens-basketball/opponent-history/duke-university/2365

BTW that Blue Devil team lost in the 1986 National Championship game to Louisville 69-72.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_men%27s_basketball

Edited by lamarfan360

For the last couple of weeks, I have been monitoring the transfer portal. Last year coach Brooks signed 11 players and not one was from the transfer portal.

I have seen Lamar as interested in at least 5 guys that are either Dll or Dl transfers. The players average between 25 and 17 PPG. Except for McNeese transfer Jonathan Massie, who averaged 10.5 PPG.

Honestly, I think adding the right transfer guy is the way to go since LU only has a couple of scholarships available.

What are some of your thoughts regarding adding a player or players from the transfer portal?

Coach Brooks signed Jayden Barrs a 6-1 G from Manor HS in the early signing period. He was ranked as the 35th best prospect in Texas but missed his senior season due to a knee injury.

Who are we after?

Sorry I should have written them down. One was a 6-2 SG from a Dll in NY. He averaged 25ppg and there are about 15 DI programs looking at him.

One I remember is Javon Jackson 6-3 PG/SG from Southern Nazarene a DII. Reason I remember him is he played HS ball at CE King in Houston. Lamar is recruiting his younger brother Jaylon Jackson, a 6-2, guard and his teammate Logan Alexander a 6-9, PF/C.

There are a couple other guards I saw Lamar as listed as interested on the website theportalreport.com that I can not recall at this time.

There are no PF/C that I saw Lamar interested in the portal.

Finally, there is Jonathan Massie a 6-6 guard from McNeese. He is being highly recruited.

Add Shahada Wells 6-0 guard from TCU.

Edited by lamarfan360

Coach Brooks signed Jayden Barrs a 6-1 G from Manor HS in the early signing period. He was ranked as the 35th best prospect in Texas

but missed his senior season due to a knee injury.

i HATE the portal. But youre dead if you dont use it

Raheem Anthony, SG 6-4, 220 lbs from Saint Marys College in Chicago, Illinois averaged 24.6 ppg, 9.2 rpg and 4.6 apt has Lamar as listed as interested.

He's actually at St. Mary's University of Minnesota in Winona, Minnesota. He went to high school in Chicago. I looked at their schedule. It's DIII.

A lot of Duke supporters thought coach K needed to get some coaching skills before he got Johnny Dawkins on campus.

In 1985 (with coach Brooks on the Cardinals coaching staff) Lamar almost beat Duke in Houston before falling 62-66.

Point, good players can make coaches look great.

https://lamarcardinals.com/sports/mens-basketball/opponent-history/duke-university/2365

BTW that Blue Devil team lost in the 1986 National Championship game to Louisville 69-72.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_men%27s_basketball

Lmao. Coach Brooks the new coach K!

Lmao. Coach Brooks the new coach K!

I don't think that's what was being said. It's was more of how, until he got the players that matched his system on campus in 82 and 83, people saw him as an overmatched coach.

Through his first 7 seasons, his record was 111-106 and the boosters were looking at when his contract ran out.

Then, Dawkins, Alarie, Amaker, Bilas, Henderson, and the like made Duke into the traveling show we think of now.

Sorry I should have written them down. One was a 6-2 SG from a Dll in NY. He averaged 25ppg and there are about 15 DI programs looking at him.

One I remember is Javon Jackson 6-3 PG/SG from Southern Nazarene a DII. Reason I remember him is he played HS ball at CE King in Houston. Lamar is recruiting his younger brother Jaylon Jackson, a 6-2, guard and his teammate Logan Alexander a 6-9, PF/C.

There are a couple other guards I saw Lamar as listed as interested on the website theportalreport.com that I can not recall at this time.

There are no PF/C that I saw Lamar interested in the portal.

Finally, there is Jonathan Massie a 6-6 guard from McNeese. He is being highly recruited.

Add Shahada Wells 6-0 guard from TCU.

Shahada Wells from TCU transferred to McNeese. They're getting good players while Brooks is getting a D2 player. Is it too early to say that LU will suck next year too?

I don't think that's what was being said. It's was more of how, until he got the players that matched his system on campus in 82 and 83, people saw him as an overmatched coach.

Through his first 7 seasons, his record was 111-106 and the boosters were looking at when his contract ran out.

Then, Dawkins, Alarie, Amaker, Bilas, Henderson, and the like made Duke into the traveling show we think of now.

A young coach with a winning record. That's not the LU way.

• 2 weeks later...