12-21 MBB at LSU

geezer

LSU doesn't have the typical power conference school record in the non-conference. They are currently 6-5 on the season which includes a loss to fellow SLC school Nicholls. The questions are was that a fluke, can Lamar compete, where does it look like Lamar ranks in the SLC? Game time is 8 PM. Cards will need to play much better than they did against USM to stay within ten points.

Final score LSU 87 - Lamar 66. Cards never quit, played better in the second half with only four second half turnovers. Rebounding was reasonably close with LSU leading 25-21 on the boards. One difference between this game and the LSU - Nicholls and SELA games was the addition of the transfer guard Cook to the LSU lineup. He was cleared to play late by the NCAA and this was his second game. Cook played 33 minutes with 17 points and five assists.

I remember Coach Brooks state this season the guards were bigger this year. Yet, he continues to play the smaller guards on the team the majority of minutes. I just do not get it.

I checked the stats and the roster. The real question is who are these bigger guards? The new guards on the roster that are playing are Jackson at 6-0 and Knight at 6-6. So, the only bigger guard is Knight, and he really isn't playing guard most of the time. Also, Knight has the worst record on taking care of the ball. He has the second most turnovers of the four, the least assists and the least number of steals despite getting similar minutes. Pryor is getting the most minutes, followed by Jackson, Buckley and Knight with Knight still getting an average of 19.1 minutes per game, Maybe he was comparing Jackson and Knight to Casey Brooks and Calmese from previous years.

I checked the stats and the roster. The real question is who are these bigger guards? The new guards on the roster that are playing are Jackson at 6-0 and Knight at 6-6. So, the only bigger guard is Knight, and he really isn't playing guard most of the time. Also, Knight has the worst record on taking care of the ball. He has the second most turnovers of the four, the least assists and the least number of steals despite getting similar minutes. Pryor is getting the most minutes, followed by Jackson, Buckley and Knight with Knight still getting an average of 19.1 minutes per game, Maybe he was comparing Jackson and Knight to Casey Brooks and Calmese from previous years.

Who knows? I get Knight might be a liability taking care of the ball and may not have a lot of steals. However, playing just 19.1 minutes a game he is averaging about 12 ppg. Also, being 6-6 he can effect the shot of most of the guards Lamar plays. I get that Brooks is playing him primarily at SF but that in my opinion is a mistake. Play Pennebaker and Anderson at SF. I get that Pryor is the best PG offensively. But, he is not very good defensively. Buckley is not much better on defense. Jackson is not a SG but he is pretty good defensively which is probably why coach is playing him out of position. However, he is guarding players three to four inches taller. A lot of times, I have seen Pryor, Buckley and Jackson on the floor at the same time. They are probably the best ball handlers but I believe our record shows it is not working playing them together, especially at the end of games.

I am just venting as it is frustrating to watch this team not progress. In two of the past four games Lamar has lost by at least twenty points!

Edited by lamarfan360

Who knows? I get Knight might be a liability taking care of the ball and may not have a lot of steals. However, playing just 19.1 minutes a game he is averaging about 12 ppg. Also, being 6-6 he can effect the shot of most of the guards Lamar plays. I get that Brooks is playing him primarily at SF but that in my opinion is a mistake. Play Pennebaker and Anderson at SF. I get that Pryor is the best PG offensively. But, he is not very good defensively. Buckley is not much better on defense. Jackson is not a SG but he is pretty good defensively which is probably why coach is playing him out of position. However, he is guarding players three to four inches taller. A lot of times, I have seen Pryor, Buckley and Jackson on the floor at the same time. They are probably the best ball handlers but I believe our record shows it is not working playing them together, especially at the end of games.

I am just venting as it is frustrating to watch this team not progress. In two of the past four games Lamar has lost by at least twenty points!

I agree, I'm hoping maybe Brooks has a little different plan for conference. I noticed he had Hamilton and Bulujic in at the same time for a little bit at LSU. Maybe he has some kind of plan for a bigger lineup.

I agree, I'm hoping maybe Brooks has a little different plan for conference. I noticed he had Hamilton and Bulujic in at the same time for a little bit at LSU. Maybe he has some kind of plan for a bigger lineup.

One HUGE problem is our defense. He wants to play this exciting brand of basketball. There is nothing exciting about this garbage. It is playground basketball. I do not mind picking up full court on defense UNLESS the other team is beating easily and or if we get back and play good/sound half court defense. But he wants to keep trapping in the half court and it leads to wide open shots.