Woodard sees good in TxSt-SM Game

BRI Staff

Ray Woodard said the second half Saturday was “probably the most enjoyable experience coaching here that I’ve had because our team really responded.”

You can’t blame him for feeling that way.

Too bad the first half of the 46-21 loss at Texas State wasn’t better.

That’s what Woodard said Tuesday during the Southland Conference coaches teleconference.

Here’s an excerpt:

We went down to Texas State kind of fired up to play them and then we kind of fell flat on our face in the first quarter. We really didn’t do anything right. I don’t think we had a first down. We didn’t stop them defensively. We just got behind quick, 35-7 at halftime. We had our opportunities. We lost a player or two during the game in the first half. We had some opportunities to quit if we wanted to and we didn’t do that.

Our team really came out and played hard, got back into the ballgame. Got it back to 38-21 at one point. The second half was probably the most enjoyable experience coaching here that I’ve had because our team really responded and I was very proud of the effort.

I was kind of upset at myself because we didn’t do enough right in the first half to give ourselves a chance. I thought we really squandered a great effort in the second half of that ballgame by not playing well in the first half. We’re going to go back to work to see what we can do to rectify that to where we can play four complete quarters of the game.

But I was very proud of our team’s effort. I was very proud of our character. We didn’t quit. We played hard. And I told our players after the ballgame that type of attitude can carry you in life when you have setbacks and things don’t go your way when you fight through them. And i was proud of our players.

LINK: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/10/18/woodard-sees-good-in-saturdays-loss/

Guest CardAmbassador
I know its not under the best circumstances but I am glad that we have managed to score points late in the games we have lost, at least its not like last year where we were getting blown out and then the score margin became even wider. (SFA Game)