Woodard Looking for DC and Receivers Coach

coachacola

Guest bigred360

If we can get two quality coaches in these positions then I think it will add to a better coaching staff and thus a better football team. Coaches get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing but at this level you have to have an experienced DI coaching staff. Good job to the athletic department and Coach Woodard for seeing the need to improve the coaching staff.

I hope we aren't losing anyone else.

I'm sure this is why spring practice has been moved back til after spring break.

Edit: Since Lamar will still be short a couple of coaches compared to other FCS schools they need to pay these guys top dollar including the coaches we already have. Just my two cents here.

Guest bigred360

Figured I'd make another post under this thread. Lamar still hasn't named Jason Henderson as a full-time AD. I really hope Dr. Simmons really think's hard about this positon because it is the most important overall job in our athletic department. This person need to be a great manager of people, needs to be charismatic, a leader and honestly someone people around the nation can respect for leading this athletic department.

We need to hit a homerun with this hire and get someone who has a vision for the future for Lamar whether than is to remain in the SLC or move to a different conference.

Personally, I'd love someone like UTSA's Lynn Hickey. Here is her bio:

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=613789

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been an official announcement of the hiring of McKnight as the o-line/special teams coach. And you have to wonder if another coach is leaving because 2 full time coaches have already left and Woodard will have 3 new full time coaches. Hopefully he's been allowed to increase is staff size because he's been a coach or two short these first few years.

Guest CardAmbassador

I'm not sure he is expanding the staff, but I'm pleased that we're hiring a dedicated DC. I was really disappointed when we didn't hire a guy last year and even more disappointed when I saw the 2012 OOC schedule.

It seemed to me after viewing these approaches to scheduling and staffing in 2011 that LU was taking the "Nicholls" approach to football, that approach is a bad one.

I hope the scheduling will be better next year when we have only 1 pay day game and 4 home conference games. And it appears that we're serious about having position coaches, so I'm a little encouraged about the direction we're taking with football now.

More info about the coaching staff from Chris Dabe:

McGallion will also have administrative duties once held by Brian Mayper, now HC at Navarro.

Craig McGallion will continue coaching LBs. There are no more staff departures. LU will have one more coach in '12 than in '11.

Lamar posted openings for D-coordinator and receivers coach. New DC could be co-DC w/ Allen Johnson, coach Ray Woodard said.

I see this as positive news.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
I'm not sure he is expanding the staff, but I'm pleased that we're hiring a dedicated DC. I was really disappointed when we didn't hire a guy last year and even more disappointed when I saw the 2012 OOC schedule.

It seemed to me after viewing these approaches to scheduling and staffing in 2011 that LU was taking the "Nicholls" approach to football, that approach is a bad one.

I hope the scheduling will be better next year when we have only 1 pay day game and 4 home conference games. And it appears that we're serious about having position coaches, so I'm a little encouraged about the direction we're taking with football now.

Scheduling is big issue with the fans that I don't think Woodard has a grasp on yet. I have long said that this area is situated in Big 12/SEC country and knows what competitive football is all about and wants to see LU playing top flight programs on its level (not saying brining in a UT or LSU), but top FCS schools or lower tier FBS schools would put butts in the stands.

As far as scheduling goes, since there's only 8 football teams in the SLC, Lamar cannot have 4 conference home games a year since that's only 7 conference games a year. I don't think Lamar is taking the Nicholls route because playing Hawaii next year gives Lamar one extra FBS game. Since Lamar is FCS they'll probably have to schedule at least 1 sub-D1 team a year to come to Beaumont. Besides the SWAC, there's no FCS schools nearby, which is probably why Priarie View is coming this year.

Guest CardAmbassador
I may be mistaken but I thought I had heard that an FBS school could not play at an FCS school. Does anyone know for sure?

To my knowledge that is not the case. But I don't think you could convince an FBS school to play at an FCS stadium anyways.