Juwan Taylor

Position - Defensive Back

School - Northeast Mississippi CC

Height - 5’11”

Weight - 200 lbs

Commitment - Alcorn State

Reported Offers:

FBS - Bowling Green

FCS - Alcorn State, Lamar, Mississippi Valley State, Nicholls State, Southern & Tennessee-Martin

Other - Northeastern State

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

Rivals Profile

[tweet]1072990611110813698[/tweet]

Edited by KABrother88

Harrell Blackmon

School - Copiah-Lincoln CC

Height - 6’1”

Weight - 185 lbs

Commitment - Old Dominion

Reported Offers:

FBS - Hawaii, Old Dominion & South Alabama

FCS - Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Bethune Eastern Illinois, Lamar & Tennessee-Martin

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

247 Profile

Rivals Profile

[tweet]1062407667145154560[/tweet]

Edited by KABrother88

Ivin White

Position - Defensive Line

School - Hinds CC

Height - 6’2”

Weight - 250 lbs

Commitment - Louisiana-Monroe

Reported Offers:

FBS - Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas & Old Dominion

FCS - Austin Peay, Bethune-Cookman, Central Arkansas, Eastern Illinois, Idaho, Jackson State, Lamar & Nicholls State

Other - Delta State

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

Rivals Profile

Jonathan Alexander

School - Kilgore JC

Height - 6’3”

Weight - 205 lbs

Commitment - Kansas State

Reported Offers:

FBS - Kansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Old Dominion, Texas State & UTEP

FCS - Grambling State, Incarnate Word, Lamar, Prairie View A&M & Southeast Missouri State

Ratings:

247 - 3-Star (81)

Rivals - 2-Star (5.3)

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

247 Profile

Rivals Profile

Edited by KABrother88

DaQuirs Griffin

School - Arizona Western CC

Height - 6’1”

Weight - 185 lbs

Commitment - Undecided

Reported Offers:

FCS - Lamar

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

[tweet]1055302222400020481[/tweet]

Griffin has committed to Lamar

Does anyone know how many scholarships are available? I thought the maximum of new scholarships a FCS school can offer is 30. According to this thread (since June), the number of offers is almost 40. Are we assuming those offers that have committed to other schools will not be flipped? Just wondering.

Does anyone know how many scholarships are available? I thought the maximum of new scholarships a FCS school can offer is 30. According to this thread (since June), the number of offers is almost 40. Are we assuming those offers that have committed to other schools will not be flipped? Just wondering.

There isn’t a set number of offers a school can give. I remember seeing SFA send out close to 100 offers a couple years ago. At the FCS level, schools are capped at 63 scholarships per season. However, FCS schools are also able to split scholarship dollars vs FBS can have 85 scholarship that are all full value. Because of this it’s always hard to know how many scholarships are available unless you are in the room so to speak since kids that sign might not be on a full scholarship.

Also there is a cap at the FBS level of 25 signees per class but there is a loophole to where if a kid enrolls in January he can count back to the previous class if it wasn’t a full 25. For instance if an FBS school was to sign 23 kids one year, the next year they could sign 27 so long as 2 of the kids are enrolling early. It can get very confusing because that rolls year to year and each year some signees are counted back to a previous year.

I hope that makes sense...it does to me in my head but I wouldn’t recommend trying to understand what I got going on up there lol

Don't recall what the exact number is but there is a total number of players allowed including partial scholarships and I believe a total number including walk-ons. I think the number for fcs is around the 80 mark and the total for FBS including walk-ons is around 100.

Don't recall what the exact number is but there is a total number of players allowed including partial scholarships and I believe a total number including walk-ons. I think the number for fcs is around the 80 mark and the total for FBS including walk-ons is around 100.

FCS schools are allowed to have up to 85 players on some sort of athletically based aid. So essentially, FCS teams can have the same number of scholarship players but are only given roughly 75% the amount of scholarship dollars. The cap counting walk-ons is 105 for FBS and 95 for FCS.

FCS schools are allowed to have up to 85 players on some sort of athletically based aid. So essentially, FCS teams can have the same number of scholarship players but are only given roughly 75% the amount of scholarship dollars. The cap counting walk-ons is 105 for FBS and 95 for FCS.

I am familiar with this rule, it is referred to as the "Nebraska Rule", since their manipulation of scholarships caused the NCAA to amend the scholarship rules. Initially, the NCAA just put a cap on the amount of "athletic" funded scholarships. So Nebraska got around it by offering "academic" scholarships to players. It also got them around some of the Title IX rules also. In fact RB Mike Rozier was on a Rotary Club sponsored academic scholarship his freshman year and believe me Mike Rozier was no where near being an academic stalwart. If a local Rotary Club or other civic organization wanted then Coach Tom Osborne to speak at their functions, he would do it for free as long as the organization would fund a full scholarship to be used by the athletic (football) department. So the NCAA decided to count those on any scholarship towards the limit and also stated that to qualify for an academic scholarship, the player had to score a certain minimum on the SAT/ACT Exam. If I remember correctly it was 1200 for the SAT, but may have changed.

Ted Melson Jr.

Position - Offensive Line

School - St. Augustine HS (LA)

Height - 6’3”

Weight - 300 lbs

Commitment - Undecided

Reported Offers:

FBS - South Alabama & Texas State

FCS - Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Idaho, Jackson State, Lamar, Morgan State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Prairie View A&M, Southeast Missouri State & Tennessee State

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

247 Profile

Rivals Profile

Per Melson’s Twitter headline he has committed to Lamar

I am familiar with this rule, it is referred to as the "Nebraska Rule", since their manipulation of scholarships caused the NCAA to amend the scholarship rules. Initially, the NCAA just put a cap on the amount of "athletic" funded scholarships. So Nebraska got around it by offering "academic" scholarships to players. It also got them around some of the Title IX rules also. In fact RB Mike Rozier was on a Rotary Club sponsored academic scholarship his freshman year and believe me Mike Rozier was no where near being an academic stalwart. If a local Rotary Club or other civic organization wanted then Coach Tom Osborne to speak at their functions, he would do it for free as long as the organization would fund a full scholarship to be used by the athletic (football) department. So the NCAA decided to count those on any scholarship towards the limit and also stated that to qualify for an academic scholarship, the player had to score a certain minimum on the SAT/ACT Exam. If I remember correctly it was 1200 for the SAT, but may have changed.

I’m part of a younger crowd but I’ve heard stories of Bear Bryant having well over 100 kids on scholarships. He’d sign some guys that he knew would not see the field but would sign them anyways cause they wanted to be on a championship team and it kept them off other SEC teams where they could potentially play. That way he could further keep them at bay so to speak.

I’m not sure what the exact wording of the SAT/ACT rule is but I know there is a sliding scale. The lower your HS GPA is then the higher you have to score one the test and vice versa.

Back to Lamar recruiting, tomorrow is the start of the early signing period. As of now we have 4 reported commits in HS QB Jermaine Givens, HS OL Ted Melson, JC OL Nick Dunomes & JC DB Daquirs Griffin. A few other names I’d look out for is HS WR Cedric Hayes, HS OL Alex Frithiof, JC TE Denzel Carter, JC DL Isaac Fotu & JC DL Kirsten Williams. All of them have been on official visits in recent weeks.

Edited by KABrother88

Davion May

Position - Defensive Line

School - Mississippi Gulf Coast CC

Height - 6’2”

Weight - 230 lbs

Commitment - Nicholls State

Reported Offers:

FBS - Louisiana-Lafayette

FCS - Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Idaho, Lamar, McNeese State, Mississippi Valley State, Nicholls State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern & Tennessee State

Other - North Alabama

Ratings:

247 - NR

Rivals - NR

ESPN - NR

Links:

Hudl

247 Profile

Rivals Profile

[tweet]1018905106211856384[/tweet]

May has flipped his commitment from Nicholls State to Lamar

[tweet]1075165092013064192[/tweet]

According to the LamarCardinals.com QB Will McBride from University of Tennessee has transferred to Lamar and will be eligible next season. Graduated from Clear Springs HS. He should be a good qb for us.

His picture and bio has been taken down on the website. Not sure what is going on......

Edited by BigRed2010

According to the LamarCardinals.com QB Will McBride from University of Tennessee has transferred to Lamar and will be eligible next season. Graduated from Clear Springs HS. He should be a good qb for us.

His picture and bio has been taken down on the website. Not sure what is going on......

He announced his transfer from Tennessee last month so could be some smoke here. I don’t know if they took it down to paperwork not being finalized or what. They also announced JUCO DB Jerod Alton on Twitter then deleted it.

He announced his transfer from Tennessee last month so could be some smoke here. I don’t know if they took it down to paperwork not being finalized or what. They also announced JUCO DB Jerod Alton on Twitter then deleted it.

He was in on a visit VERY recently along with a possible receiver transfer I'm not sure has been named. McBride's Hudl videos don't jump out at me at all. Now the receiver looks legit if he transfers. He's from well known school also. He would be a definite get.

He was in on a visit VERY recently along with a possible receiver transfer I'm not sure has been named. McBride's Hudl videos don't jump out at me at all. Now the receiver looks legit if he transfers. He's from well known school also. He would be a definite get.

Someone on Twitter who follows Tennessee sports said back in November McBride was signing with Blinn JC and then he would sign with a 4-year school after that. I'm not sure how legit that info is and didn't make much sense since the source also said McBride had about 6 schools interested in him.

Someone on Twitter who follows Tennessee sports said back in November McBride was signing with Blinn JC and then he would sign with a 4-year school after that. I'm not sure how legit that info is and didn't make much sense since the source also said McBride had about 6 schools interested in him.

grades?

video i found, kid is legit. but is was showing his passing, and since schultz passes as a last resort.....