Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

We'll try to keep all discussion regarding the search here. We have had several names thrown out in here of late, some may be realistic options that the AD is looking at and some maybe not so much.

Some of the potentially realistic names brought here are:

Colby Carthel - HC @ Texas A&M-Commerce

Bobby Hauck - STC @ SAN Diego St. (former HC @ Montana & UNLV)

Phil Longo - OC @ Sam Houston St.

Now these are names that have been brought up by us fans but at this time, we have no way to know if there is any interest (mutual or one-sided).

I do have a name of a guy who is interested in the job however. His name is Mike Canales. Currently he's the Associate HC/RBs/TEs at Utah State. He's been an OC at the FBS level at both South Florida and North Texas. He was promoted to interim HC on 2 different occasions at North Texas as well.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke with someone at Lamar Tuesday and by 4pm they had already had 51 applicants

I feel like there will be a lot of quality applications. Compared to other SLC schools, Lamar is on the high end of best facilities and located in a fertile recruiting ground...put a winner on the field and the big money backers will make their presence known as well.

If Lamar has to stick to a budget a name I'd like to be considered is Kevin Barbay.

Some positive things to consider about Kevin:

• From the area
  • Solid former staff member (his WR groups were some of LU's best. Coached Reggie Begelton from a walk on to leading LU WR)
  • Great recruiter (responsible for signing Kade Harrington, Omar Tebo, Kevin Johnson, Mark Roberts, Jordan Edwards)
  • Young and hungry
  • Has been learning at successful programs (Colorado State and Florida)
  • Affordable

Negative:

• Experience

There will be bigger names that apply but Lamar is in a position to give a local guy that had positive experience here a chance to run the program and would not run off at the first hint of potential success. He left his hometown and Lamar for the opportunity to learn how major programs are run under a successful coach that's now in the SEC to gain the knowledge to have a chance at opportunities like this. If a donor doesn't come in offering money to consider a preferred big name candidate (I've heard some rumors of this) then at least give Kevin an interview.

Just my opinion...

I feel like there will be a lot of quality applications. Compared to other SLC schools, Lamar is on the high end of best facilities and located in a fertile recruiting ground...put a winner on the field and the big money backers will make their presence known as well.

IMHO, Lamar is in a completely different position than last FB HC hire. I agree fully with KABrother that Lamar has much more to offer this time around. We are on the upper end of facilities and pay. Have a decent local population and will support a winner.

What I don't want is taking a chance with a local high school coach, promote from within, or someone without at least some head coaching experience, or a coordinator from a lower FBS program (can't afford one from top 5 conferences). They must be proven.

We'll try to keep all discussion regarding the search here. We have had several names thrown out in here of late, some may be realistic options that the AD is looking at and some maybe not so much.

Some of the potentially realistic names brought here are:

Colby Carthel - HC @ Texas A&M-Commerce

Bobby Hauck - STC @ SAN Diego St. (former HC @ Montana & UNLV)

Phil Longo - OC @ Sam Houston St.

Now these are names that have been brought up by us fans but at this time, we have no way to know if there is any interest (mutual or one-sided).

I do have a name of a guy who is interested in the job however. His name is Mike Canales. Currently he's the Associate HC/RBs/TEs at Utah State. He's been an OC at the FBS level at both South Florida and North Texas. He was promoted to interim HC on 2 different occasions at North Texas as well.

How long has he been at Utah state?

If Lamar has to stick to a budget a name I'd like to be considered is Kevin Barbay.

• From the area
  • Solid former staff member (his WR groups were some of LU's best. Coached Reggie Begelton from a walk on to leading LU WR)
  • Great recruiter (responsible for signing Kade Harrington, Omar Tebo, Kevin Johnson, Mark Roberts, Jordan Edwards)
  • Young and hungry
  • Affordable

Negative:

• Experience

There will be bigger names that apply but Lamar is in a position to give a local guy that had positive experience here a chance to run the program and would not run off at the first hint of potential success. He left his hometown and Lamar for the opportunity to learn how major programs are run under a successful coach that's now in the SEC to gain the knowledge to have a chance at opportunities like this. If a donor doesn't come in offering money to consider a preferred big name candidate (I've heard some rumors of this) then at least give Kevin an interview.

Just my opinion...

What's his position at Florida?

• From the area
  • Young and hungry
  • Affordable

Negative:

• Experience

Just my opinion...

Wasn't he 0-20 as a high school coach?

• From the area
  • Young and hungry
  • Affordable

Negative:

• Experience

Just my opinion...

Not only no but HELL no. I don't care where he's been the last couple of years. If you think his record at Warren, regardless of talent pool, is acceptable. Of course he's affordable because his credentials suck. We need and deserve a better HC than him. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he dang sure isn't deserving to be a HC for LU. Interview as a courtesy but no way he gets the job.

Not only no but HELL no. I don't care where he's been the last couple of years. If you think his record at Warren, regardless of talent pool, is acceptable. Of course he's affordable because his credentials suck. We need and deserve a better HC than him. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he dang sure isn't deserving to be a HC for LU. Interview as a courtesy but no way he gets the job.

Lucky for us we're not having to make the decision but if a guy has people like Jim McElwain and Steve Spurrier personally vouching for him, I'd consider that much more than a HS record at Warren many moons ago.

Also have to remember that his time in Warren was when he was 25 years old and had none of the college experience that he's had since he left there. He very well may not be what the AD is looking for at this moment but I've been told by people I trust that he is going to be a hell of a head coach when he gets the chance.

Also have to remember that his time in Warren was when he was 25 years old and had none of the college experience that he's had since he left there. He very well may not be what the AD is looking for at this moment but I've been told by people I trust that he is going to be a hell of a head coach when he gets the chance.

go let him be somebody else's experiment

I think Barbay would make a great choice. Barbay recruited very well at Lamar. So well that he was hired away to go to Colorado St where he succeeded and then to Florida where his success has continued. Florida is playing in the SEC championship game this year. If you look at the coaches who McElwain took with him from Colorado St to Florida, Barbay is one of only two that made the trip. Honestly, coming coach at Lamar may be a pay cut for him... The guy is wearing a Florida Gator polo shirt right now. I wonder if we could even get him....

+1

+ 1 million

We don't want to count his high school record. I would think if you we're any decent coach, motivator, strategist, you could figure out to win at least one game in twenty. Also what is his assignment at Florida? I was thinking it was 'travel agent'.

Schools are only allowed 9 assistant coaches but there is no limit on positions like Barbay is currently in. Many schools call these positions analyst...Nick Saban has been know to hire fired HCs as his analyst. Basically Barbay's job description is to identify and monitor players for the assistants to recruit. He is not able to do the actual recruiting as only the assistants and HC can do that. To my knowledge however, there is no restriction on these analyst's ability to be in meeting rooms or work with players during practice so if I understand right, he is as involved as a normal assistant minus gameday and on the recruiting trail.

Obviously I see how people would have an issue with him being hired. Like I said earlier though, I read zero into his 2 years at Warren HS. I am originally from Woodville which is about 10 minutes away and Warren has historically been horrible (we weren't much better but we let them know they sucked). I've spoken with people familiar with the situation of when Barbay was there and they told me that most of the kids on varsity those years wouldn't have started on the JV teams a few years before he arrived when they were only winning 2-3 games.

If you want to hold it against him that he hasn't been an on field assistant since he left Lamar for CSU then I completely understand your argument. Just don't want people to get too caught up in his time at Warren.

Edit: Did a little more research and found that Barbay is now listed as Director of Player Development and no longer Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Not sure if that means he's more hands on with current player instead of the evaluation part or what.

Edited by KABrother88

Remember a head coach gets camp,TV and radio proceeds that add to published salaries.Also a head coach calls the shots on recruiting and travel days which is good for his family life.The Louisiana schools have had significant budget cuts so our packages for assistants should typically be better than theirs.

Dale Peveto is no longer with LSU. As head coach at NW State for 4 years he had a losing record. Being a local guy I'm wondering if he's interested. He strikes me as a Woodard-type coach who would probably wouldn't be that successful.

Just saw that and was coming to post it...I just hope they don't take a retread like him

A list of the good and bad of being Lamar's HC.

Good:

-total compensation of around $200,000 per year

-a local recruiting area with several good high school programs

-a respected university with an attractive campus

-some of the best athletic facilities in the conference

-a member of a conference that annually sends members to a national tournament

-ESPN tv contract that can help with recruiting

Bad:

-can't think of anything

What I'm hoping for:

-a young hungry coach somewhere around 35 to 45.

-a recent consistent track record, not something that happened a few years ago

-solid offensive resume and a reputation for developing players

-a good reputation as a recruiter

-please, no retreads.

Please feel free to add to the list or call bullshit

Bad:

No tradition of winning

Unfortunately eliminates at least part of what you are looking for such as

- recent track record (at least as a head coach)

- a young hungry coach somewhere around 35 to 45. (unless you take a chance on someone without a track record)

- no retreads (even the big programs sometimes go with a retread such as LSU with their new coach. He failed miserably several years back at Ole Miss, granted LSU hasn't seen the results yet)

Not saying I wouldn't like those things but Lamar would need to get real lucky to find someone to fit those qualities. Several nationally known programs will be getting rid of head coaches who have very good offenses this year but couldn't stop anyone consistently. Even in FCS you have to have a solid defense to win. That seems much harder to find, maybe it's much harder to recruit quality defensive players.