It's going to be another long year

CS

Wow. Had a chance to catch the scrimmage last night and I'm completely discouraged by this group of players.

Let's start with the defense. The best way to describe the defense is like a 1980's mesh jersey. it's full of holes. They are slow, they often look lost, and the better teams we see this season will have a field day.

The offense... sluggish. Perhaps it was an off night but I didn't see anything positive to bring home that makes me think this team can win more than 7 games. The lone bright spot was a long run by #8 at the start and I attribute that to poor defense. As I said.. the mesh jersey.

Quarterback play. Wow. Pathetic.

Special teams - I actually laughed out loud a few times. Kicking the ball to the 5 or worse every time. And don't tell me they're teaching that because Woodard screamed at the kicker and I quote "You have a wind at your back, you should be putting that in the end zone" :flush:

Hey, Jayce Nelson, quit your yapping on the sideline if you're not going to suit out and play ball son. What is it with these kids skipping practice? Didn't look like anything was wrong with at least 3 players in shorts on the sideline. This isn't a championship attitude. It's a "i don't care about this team" attitude.

One more thing, Lamar University, clean your restrooms. Inexcusible to allow your stadium to look like that at any time. There was a dirty baby bow that said Carthage bulldogs on a diaper changing table in one restroom. Seriously?

Does anyone care about anything in this town? Pathetic.

One last point on this, there was only around 100-150 people (that's being generous) in attendance last night. Beaumont needs to have some vision for the university and it's sports programs to generate interest because having that few people show up at an open scrimmage is embarrassing. Hell there were more fans out at some of the local high school scrimmages the night before than what showed up for a college football scrimmage in Beaumont. WAKE UP ADMINISTRATORS!

I think the big money donors don't care that much how successful the football program is. As long as the program is not a complete embarrassment and they like the coach then things won't change much. Woodard's attitude is pretty laid back and he seems pretty happy about the progress of the football program. He doesn't seem to have the focused winning attitude you see in most coaches. He treated the Hawaii game a few years ago like a vacation and the team played like they were on vacation. People have been saying for a while that Kueck is a problem yet he's still here. The schedule is pretty weak this year so Woodard can get his 6 or 7 wins and say how the program keeps improving. I don't blame the casual fan for not caring too much when the Lamar admin and big donors don't really care that much.

CS since they make you so upset, maybe you need to find another team to root for. You don't have a clue what's going on. It's to soon to start all the negative crap. Woodard has been on the teams ass a lot at practice. We all knew the defense would start out a little slow. Alex Ball injured his leg at practice, don't think its anything serious. Holyifield has an ankle sprain. Johnson has a concussion. Treadway hasn't been released from doctor yet, from hip surgery. He should be released this week. Now you don't wont these guys playing in a scrimmage, do you? Herrington only played a few plays, why risk getting him hurt?

Ok, just so I have it straight...

The offense stinks, the defense stinks, the coaches stink, the players playing stink, the injured and/or sitting out players stink, the bathrooms stink(this may actually be true after CS urinated all over the floor), the administration stinks, everybody who picks Lamar to win 8 games is an idiot, everybody but CS is either pathetic, horrible, stupid, dumb, stinks, bla bla bla.... and to put it all over the top!!!!! Shark Week even stinks!!! Are you kidding me?? ..... Are you nickels incarnate?

You have absolutely no credibility because the crap that you spew is so ridiculous that I cannot even compose a logical rebuttal to respond to your baseless rhetoric. You told "Hey Guy" to get a life?? Maybe you should take your own advice.

CS...a scrimmage is not necessarily what you want to see in a game. They are filling in the depth chart with a scrimmage just 2 weeks outside the first game of the season. A few key players only played a handful of plays, if you didn't notice. I agree some improvements need to be made in a hurry especially with the D but they are young and still coming together. I saw some positive plays on both sides of the ball but its hard to evaluate an inter-squad scrimmage on the sidelines when you don't know what the coaches are setting up or looking for.

The cleaning of the stadium went out for bid a few weeks ago and is scheduled to be done before the first game.

Let's see a real game situation before we start throwing everything under the bus.

why the hate so early Bones? gotta wait until I at least bash Woodard once in 2014!

I expect the offense to do well and the defense to get tossed around early in the year....I'm hoping for 8 wins. Expecting 7.

Dave Campbells football magazine has us 7th, behind The Word....I don't see that...this is a very favorable schedule for us...we got to take advantage of it

why the hate so early Bones? gotta wait until I at least bash Woodard once in 2014!

I expect the offense to do well and the defense to get tossed around early in the year....I'm hoping for 8 wins. Expecting 7.

Dave Campbells football magazine has us 7th, behind The Word....I don't see that...this is a very favorable schedule for us...we got to take advantage of it

I don't think it was me who hated on you.

The last scrimmage of camp is usually to find the two deep chart. The guys they are gonna work the most the last couple weeks before gametime. They usually know who the starters are except maybe a few battles going on in a position or two. More battles to get the two's set up. That is usually a pretty big gap. Where the bigger schools have so much depth that when the one goes down the two is probably not far behind him. In the smaller schools there will be a larger gap between one's and two's. That means injuries take a much bigger toll on smaller schools. I would not hang the season on those scrimmages because of my earlier statement, probably trying a lot of twos and threes out and not really running starting defense or offense.

No doubt, easy schedule...should be able to rip at least 6 to 7 victories but we would like to see a few significant wins like McNeese, Southeastern or Sam...just something to hang our hats on. As far as our coaching staff, I like Ray Woodard, I don't think much of Kueck. Poor scheme, generic and so old school I surprised our offense is wearing face masks..Now in Ray's defense, if you would see what little bit of money he has to pay these guys I'm surprised we have a staff. Texas High School coaches make more that position coaches at Lamar. now do not get me wrong, Lamar is in line pay wise as any other Southland conf school. I say get your tails out there and support them win or lose. Those kids work their asses off and deserve people in those stands. Support the effort, not the score.

Hey guy, I'm just getting around to seeing this post. I'm not sure what they looked like recently because I was unable to make the scrimmage. Team, we need to get behind the guys regardless of how they look against each other. Something tells me when the lights come on and our birds get to hit some other colors it will be a different story. I've read some promising things lately that has me rethinking my prediction. Gang, Lamar is getting there. It's a slow process but eventually we will see a winner.