Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 NFL Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2017 NFL Season

Is the nation-wide boycott of the NFL really affecting the league's bottom line. I saw a couple of games last week and highlights of a couple of more and there sure looked like a lot of empty seats in some of those stadiums. The continued protests during the National Anthem is probably the most viral topic associated with the NFL. The story lines that should be the most compelling like the return of the Eagles as an NFL power led by Carson Wentz, the phoenix rising from the ashes story of Jared Goff and the Rams dominance in the NFC West. Wentz and Goff, the Nos 1 and 2 picks in last years draft have proven they should have been drafted when and where they were.
    How about the resurgent Chargers who forced their way into playoff contention after an 0-4 start to the season. Or the saga of the Cowboys during Ezekiel Elliott's suspension. Dallas was 5-3 when Elliott began his punishment and Dallas quickly fell to 5-6 losing 3 straight before righting the ship and winning the last 3 games to stay alive for a wild card spot in the playoffs at 8-6. The NFC playoff picture is very crowded with only one division wrapped up and only the Green Bay Packers have been eliminated from a host of contenders.
    A lot of compelling stories about who has to worry about his job security abound as they always do with the rumor mill ramping up. The most interesting storyline might be in Houston. Rumors are that Bill O'Brien already knows he's out at the end of the season. I think it's totally unfair to blame OB for the slide the Texans have endured. He lost his franchise QB just prior to Week 9, and four defensive starters all before the end of Week 2. There seems to be some disconnect between GM Rick Smith and OB that may have run it's course. We'll see.
    So many stories this year that I just haven't had the energy to talk about. Harvey threw a big monkey wrench in the lives of thousands when he blew through at the end of August. Like a lot of folks my family and I have been displaced and have been living in quarters that are way less than we are accustomed to in a location far away from where we live relatively speaking. Still, we have it better than a lot of people and watching the movie White Christmas this afternoon there is a song in the movie titled Counting Your Blessings and as Christmas day approaches this was a good reminder to be thankful for what we have instead of worrying about what we don't have. Good lesson there. Next year will be better, I have to believe that because 2017 was pretty lousy. Merry Christmas BRI'ers. Have a safe and happy holiday and pray that Roger Goodell and the NFL owners pull their collective heads out of their collective asses and put a stop to these protests.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The 2017 regular season is finally over. Playoff teams are set and the playoffs will begin this weekend with the Wild Card round. The good news from my chair is Seattle didn't make the playoffs and neither would Dallas had they beaten Seattle in Week 16. The Rams are in for the first time in a long time as they won the NFC West. The NFC South is the toughest division in football judging by the 3 teams in the playoffs. New Orleans is the Division Champ while Carolina and Atlanta won both wild card slots. The Vikings are in as Norris Division champs and the Eagles own the #1 seed in the NFC but they are probably going into these playoffs as an underdog because Nick Foles is under center instead of Carson Wentz. The NFC Wild Card games this weekend are both probably going to be good games.

Saturday: Atlanta at Los Angeles Rams
    Sunday: Carolina at New Orleans

On the AFC side the Patriots and Steelers get the first round bye with New England owning the top seed. The Chiefs hung on to win the AFC West as both Oakland and the Chargers faded down the stretch. Jacksonville won the AFC South and Tennessee earned one of the wild cards. The Buffalo Bills rumbled and stumbled and fumbled their way into the other wild card slot. Here are the games this weekend;

Saturday: Tennesse at Kansas City
    Sunday: Buffalo at Jacksonville

More news from around the league:

Rick Smith is taking an indefinite leave of absence to take care of his wife who has been diagnosed with cancer and will begin taking cancer treatments soon. The Texans front office has hired an independent firm to find a temp to replace Smith while he's gone. This also probably means Bill O'Brien won't be quitting or getting fired. Your choice if this is good or bad.

Bruce Arians officially, and tearfully retired from the NFL and the Arizona Cardinals yesterday. Today Carson Palmer announced his retirement after a 15 year career in the NFL playing for Cincinnati and Arizona. So, the Cards need a new coach AND a franchise QB. Good luck with that.

In the "I can't believe this sh*t" category, the Cincinnati Bengals have given head coach Marvin Lewis a two year extension to his contract. I don't think the Bengals have won a playoff game since Boomer Esiason was QB. Certainly not under Lewis' tenure. There must be something in the water in Ohio for both NFL franchises to be the paradigm of futility.

Steelers OC Todd Haley suffered a hip injury after being pushed to the ground outside a bar near Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on New Year's Eve. This came after his wife got into a scuffle inside the bar. I cant' imagine what happened as anyone associated with the Steelers should be held in high regard but booze and boozed up women are not a good pairing and it appears like Haley paid the piper for that New Year's soiree.

From the possible fake news desk, it appears as if the Packers' Aaron Rodgers and race car driver Danika Patrick are a thing now. According to Facebook (which we know is always right) reported that they were seen in Rodgers favorite restaurant in Green Bay smooching it up. We'll see where TMZ takes us on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Super Bowl LII teams have been decided. It's going to be the New England Patriots vs the Philadelphia Eagles. But you guys all knew that. What many people didn't expect was that the Patriots would have to work so hard to earn their 8th trip to the SB in the Brady-Belichick era with their 24-20 victory. The Jacksonville Jaguars were not the slug many said they were and some even predicted the Patriots would be upset by the Jags. Damn near happened but the Patriots did what they do, they own the 4th quarter. Only the Giants were able to stop the Patriots in the Super Bowl and it took two miracle plays to get the job done. Brady and company just don't lose very often and the fact they have dominated two consecutive decades -- DECADES -- is a testament to what Bill Belichick has built and Tom Brady has executed since 1999. Every other NFL fan of teams other than the Patriots is jealous of them. I know I am. I have been waiting for 20 years since the Cowboys even sniffed a SB.
    You have to know the Jaguars are going to be tough going forward. They have built a good team and their defense is for real. There will be Blake Bortles detractors but over the past 6 weeks Bortles has played good football and he definitely has some quality work to build upon going forward. For Texans fans you gotta know that Jacksonville is the favorite to win the AFC South in 2018 and maybe years beyond that. With the Titans making the playoffs and the Jags making a strong showing in the AFC Title game you won't be able to write off the division as a pushover any more.

On the NFC side of the ledger that game was a good game to take a nap to, unless you're an Eagles fan. The Beagles blew out the Vikings 38-7 in a game in which they were the underdog. Everyone that makes predictions about these games figured the Vikings with their 2nd ranked defense in the NFL were going to beat the Carson Wentz-less Eagles. Nobody gave poor old Nick Foles any credit. He would be the reason the Eagles failed to go the SB and I'll bet even Eagles fans were proud that Foles got their guys to the NFC Title game. It may be Eagles head coach Doug Pederson should be in line to win NFL Coach of the Year for how he's brought this team to the mountain top and they are just 60 minutes away from reaching a pinnacle they have never reached in the team's long history in the NFL except in 1963 when they won an NFL Championship. That was before the NFL-AFL merger which means it was before the Super Bowl Era had begun. No titles in 54 years. Who knows, maybe this is their year? In baseball long standing droughts have gone by the wayside. The Red Sox finally won a World Series breaking the curse of the Babino, the White Sox drought went all the way back to the 1919 Black Sox scandal and cross town rival Cubs finally won in 2016 and Houston, whose franchise had never won a title in 57 years of existence finally won the big one last year. Why not the Eagles? I hope they don't, I hope they get their hearts broken just like they did on Feb. 6th 2005 in SB XXXIX when Brady and the Pats beat Donovan McNabb and the Eagles 24-21. That's an ending I can like. Pretty much every pro sports franchise in Pennsylvania is dead to me. So, now you know who I'm rooting for in 2 weeks. February 3rd 2018 at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. That's gotta hurt for the Vikings to know they came so close to being the first team in Super Bowl history to host a SB as a participant in the game. A literal home field advantage opportunity was wasted. Fortunately it wasn't a close game so the Vikes and their fans can't cry too much. Heckuva day of football with one more to go (I don't really count the Pro Bowl, do you?)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If you want to lean on the old adage that says, “defense wins championships” you may want to point out that the No 1 AND No 2 defenses in the NFL both lost yesterday. The Jacksonville Jaguars had the No 2 ranked defense in the NFL and that unit gave the New England Patriots fits before finally losing to them when Brady did his usual last-minute comeback thing.
    The Minnesota Vikings had the No 1-ranked D in the NFL but you wouldn’t have known it given the 38-7 shellacking Philadelphia put on the Vikings in the second game of the day. Now, the Eagles do have the No 4 ranked defense but it was all about the Eagles’ offense yesterday. The offense never took their foot off the gas pedal as the Eagles kept adding to their point total. The defense did a good job but the offense will get the credit for this win even though, after giving up an opening drive TD to the Vikes, Philly’s defense never let them sniff the end zone again.
    So, what about the Patriots? Their defense is the 29th ranked unit in the NFL but this organization knows how to win and the main thing is the defense needs to play adequately during the game but in the fourth quarter the D needs to be good to get that stop that will ice the game or give the offense a chance to steal the game. That is the formula for both teams on defense because, ultimately, the offense will win the game. It doesn’t matter who wins the formula for that win lies in the offense’s ability to score points. My bold prediction in this upcoming Super Bowl LII is this, the game winner will have to have scored 32 points minimum and the point spread won’t be more than 4 points.
    You know I’m rooting for the Patriots. In fact, it’s killing me to have to say nice things about the Eagles. Killing me! The one thing I do know, Bill Belichick and Nick Saban have something in common. When you give either one of those guys extra time to prepare their team seldom loses. It’s not just me hating on Philly, until Doug Pederson proves he’s the NFL version of Dabo Swinney, you have to give any edge to Bill Belichick.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The 2017 NFL season is over and the absolute wrong team won. I hate the Eagles and I hope this the city’s last ever taste of victory. Not only do I hate the team from Philly the fans in the city proved to be a group of ignorant idiots. Yay, I’m happy my team won! Let me destroy the city! Typical of a city whose greatest claim to fame is that they booed Santa Claus. I have no idea how Philadelphia was named The City of Brotherly Love because the whole population is rife with tool bags and knuckle draggers. Enjoy your moment in the sun Philadelphians, I hope it never happens again.
    We spent the whole year under the cloud of protests during the National Anthem prior to games. This act has successfully pissed off a lot of people and has cost the NFL a big chunk of the consumer’s disposable income. Apparently, it wasn’t a big enough chunk of the NFL’s income to inspire Roger Goodell and the 32 NFL owners to put their foot down and put a stop to this heinous act of disrespect. They are legally within their rights to do so if they would just grow a pair and do the right thing. Some have boycotted the NFL and more power to those who have. Some people, like me aren’t throwing the whole of the NFL under the bus because of the stupidity of a relative few morons. Most NFL players are good people and do a lot in the communities where they live AND they stand for the anthem. I hate the protesters but I hate the NFL leadership even more for not putting an end to it when they have every right to do so. The only good thing I see is that Colin Kaepernick, who began this whole shit-storm, is still unemployed.
    Ever have a bad idea and you change your mind before you go through with it? Apparently, Patriots OC Josh McDaniel did just that. All the way up to the Super Bowl the word was McDaniel was going to be the next head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. But just 2 days after the Pats lost the SB McDaniel opted out of the job in Indy. This is leaving the Colts in a big hole because they have no head coach and no leadership for the direction of the team and no plan in place for the NFL Scouting Combine which starts in about 2 weeks. Kids, tell Mr McDaniel thank you for screwing us over! Thank you Mr McDaniel!