Blane Morgan named Head Football Coach

KABrother88

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During his eight years as OC at AF, AF had winning seasons in all but in all but two. Those were two of the last three but in all fairness they came back with a ten win season his last year there. He has been a QB coach for what looks like his entire career as well as OC at AF. Wish he had some OC time at a second school.

During his eight years as OC at AF, AF had winning seasons in all but in all but two. Those were two of the last three but in all fairness they came back with a ten win season his last year there. He has been a QB coach for what looks like his entire career as well as OC at AF. Wish he had some OC time at a second school.

AF basically runs the wishbone!!! I guess he’s the only guy that wanted the job!!! Unbelievable

Well...looking for positives...

Maybe we’ll get an Air Force flyover before the games?

doubt they’ll be a national anthem controversy

he aint schultz

That’s all I got....

You forgot “SDSU averaged 19 points per game as the last place team in the Mountain West Conference and also last in total offense.”

Oh wait, you said positives..... he wasn’t the head coach, so he’s got that going for him.

I just don’t get it.

Hmmm...Coach Morgan......the Morgan Suites in the end zone?? Hmmmm..

At least the M Suites are in the end zone! Could be worse if Glenn Morgan donated the money for the training room.

But my take on this hire is I initially see nothing to get excited about, but he better be able to sell surfboards to Eskimos to get some players in here, especially at QB.

My concern is he maybe too ethical to be a top notch recruiter, my experience is the really good recruiters lie so much they don’t even know they are lying.

Edited by Skinny1

You forgot “SDSU averaged 19 points per game as the last place team in the Mountain West Conference and also last in total offense.”

Oh wait, you said positives..... he wasn’t the head coach, so he’s got that going for him.

I just don’t get it.

This hire makes ZERO sense. Zero, zilch, nada, none!!!

At least the M Suites are in the end zone! Could be worse if Glenn Morgan donated the money for the training room.

But my take on this hire is I initially see nothing to get excited about, but he better be able to sell surfboards to Eskimos to get some players in here, especially at QB.

My concern is he maybe too ethical to be a top notch recruiter, my experience is the really good recruiters lie so much they don’t even know they are lying.

Why do you need to worry about a QB? Have you ever watched Air Force? Hell, I guess that’s why we hired him. He won’t throw, our qb’s can’t throw. An offensive coordinator/QB coach whose main experience is OC at Air Force?? Seriously!! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS HIRE ONE BIT!! I’m seriously wondering if Puddin is on to something with the Morgan last name. I mean someone PLEASE give me a logical explanation as to why???!??? Talk about going from extreme optimism to completely and totally deflated. Please, someone, tell me this is just a false rumor started by Sam Houston State fans!!!!

Anyone heard yet when the Presser will be announcing the hire? Not going to categorically dismiss the hire, but I was all excited about the possibility of Walden and I am not seeing Morgan having the same resume/philosophy. I will say that if this hire is a bust, we run the risk of the football program going back to the level of apathy that existed when it was discontinued. If that happens, then it should cement Born's legacy as a AD and make him un-hireable in the future. But like everyone else these days, he will blame the hire on someone/something else like "Lamar had him handcuffed with limited resources" or "no one wants to come to Lamar".

Now Coach Morgan, I will support you as coach and give you more than a chance. The rest is on you to prove me and the rest of us "Monday morning QB's" wrong. I will gladly accept being wrong!!

If Blane Morgan does get hired we probably won't see him until after SDSU's bowl game on Dec 21:

As with those three coaches, any assistants who leave this season would likely remain with the Aztecs through the team’s Dec. 21 appearance against Central Michigan in the New Mexico Bowl.

“I told them that I expect them to stay through the bowl game,” Long said. “If they don’t and they want to move on later on, I can make that very difficult.

“I didn’t put it that way to them, but I could make it very difficult for them to get another job. I can’t stop them from getting one, but I can make it very difficult.”

Long said there is incentive to remain at SDSU through the bowl game.

“If they don’t coach the bowl game, they don’t get their bowl bonus,” he said. “So they only have to stay another 10 days and they get a bowl bonus.”

SDSU assistant coaches receive an eight percent bowl bonus. According to USA Today, Morgan’s 2019 salary is $199,416, which means he would receive a bonus of nearly $16,000.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-12-12/san-diego-state-aztecs-football-sdsu-quarterback-coach-blane-morgan-lamar-university-head-coach

Here's a WAG. Born figured out the real price of the Schultz buy out and had to hire what he could afford. Although Tic Price has at least produced a few straight winning seasons, you can't tell me money wasn't part of that hire.

Scotty Walden was making a lot less than Morgan. But we don't know how serious Walden was about leaving Southern Miss.